In 2015, ‘Namgis First Nation and the Village of Alert Bay developed the Tides of Change (ToC), one of the first joint Economic Development Strategies in Canada between a First Nation and a municipality. The strategy was built of deep community participation and its achievements have earned an award of excellence from the Planning Institute of BC. The plan’s main goals are summarized:
The full plan can be viewed here.
Since the plan was completed, several initiatives have taken place:
- The opening of VanCity’s first rural branch on Cormorant Island
- Simon Fraser University’s RADIUS program delivered in Alert Bay: https://www.sfu.ca/sfunews/stories/2016/radius-sfu-helps-alert-bay-businesses-grow.html
- Hiring of an Economic Development Officer
- Completion of engineering studies and reports related to the Harbour Redevelopment
- Completion of business feasibility studies related to the Fuel Dock, Ice Plant and Marina Expansion
- Initial community consultation on harbour redevelopment
- Completion of concept drawings for the Nurses’ Residence for Downtown Revitalization opportunities
Keep following this blog for more information as it comes!